The first organized meeting which led to the formation of the Rotary Club of Gresham was held on March 26, 1948.   The meeting included Jack S. Sammons, who had recently moved from Bend, Oregon, where he had been president of that city's Rotary club, and a group of his friends. Sammons later became the president of the Rotary Club of Gresham during its first two years of existence. These first officers and Board Members were elected to office on April 8, 1948.   Other officers and Board members of the first club were:

·      H.R. Rasmuson ----------------------------- Vice President

·      Rev. John Magood   Secretary---------- Treasurer

·      Dr. T.B. Carter ------------------------------ Board Member

·      Andy Morgan ------------------------------ Board Member

·      Leon Ormstead ----------------------------- Board Member

·      Clyde Lewis -------------------------------- Board Member

·      Floyd McMullen -------------------------- Board Member


The Portland Rotary Club was the sponsoring club for the Rotary Club of Gresham.   Charter night was held on May 6, 1948, at "The Fun Center," now known as the Senior Center on the corner of Powell and Elliott.   Honored guests were District 101 Governor Scott Leavitt, and Dr. Harry Dillon, President of Linfield College, who was the keynote speaker.


Over the years, the Rotary Club of Gresham has held its meetings in several locations including:   "The Fun Center," the Eagle Nest Café," the Gresham Hospital, the former Elks Club (on the corner of Eastman Parkway and Division), Bogey's at the Gresham Golf Course, Persimmon Country Club, and its present location, the 4th Street Brewing Company in downtown Gresham.


The Rotary Club of Gresham currently consists of 62 members of which 58 are active members, and four are honorary members.

Sponsors

Interested in being a sponsor?
Download the website sponsorship guide